Wednesday, April 17, 2013

2013 Ferris State University Vagina Monologues

I have a beautiful daughter who is smart, funny, creative and kind.
She is my angel, my conscience, and my joy.
I love the way that she sees the world. She is kind to others, even if they are smelly, like her friend Kelly - she sees through the outside of people and into who they really are.
When she sees the ugliness in the world, she looks to me and says, "That's not very nice, is it, Mommy?"
And she makes me want to do something about it.
When she found out that some people actually sleep in boxes out on the street, she gave me all her piggy bank money and asked me if that would help them. We ended up donating online to the local shelter, which is something that you could easily do if you would like to offer your help, too. A more hands-on option would be to volunteer at a homeless shelter or other type of program.

All proceeds of The Vagina Monologues at Ferris State University goes toward WISE, which is a domestic violence and sexual assault services program.
Their vision is to empower people to create violence-free communities.
Their mission is to provide advocacy, safety options, and support services to survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault. WISE empowers individuals and families through respect and equality and works toward strengthening our communities through awareness, prevention, and education. They have partnered with The Vagina Monologues because they stand for the same things.

Statement of Beliefs:

We believe...
  • In the equality of all people.
  • Domestic Violence and sexual assault are crimes that affect individuals, families, and society.
  • Domestic violence and sexual assault are the result of one individual's desire to control another individual.
  • Ending domestic and sexual violence begins by creating an environment of tolerance and empowerment.
  • Individuals who choose violence must be held accountable.
The Vagina Monologues are at Ferris State University on Thursday, April 25th at 7:03pm at Williams Auditorium. Tickets are available at the door. They are $5 with Student ID or $10.00.
You don't have to go to the show to help out. You can go to the WISE website and donate online.
I did.
My daughter is watching me.
She's looking to me to be smart, safe, and kind.
Just like her.

No comments:

Post a Comment