Monday, October 27, 2014

Divorce/Break-Up Songs that Make Me Want to Cry/Vomit, 14 of 26 ~ Songs That Start With the Letter "M."

1.) One lovely thing about researching Divorce/Break-Up songs has been the insight that I've gained in the process. In this particular example, I have finally figured out just what exactly is wrong with Kanye West: Oedipus Complex. Whatever else may be disturbing about his character or temper, one can't help but feel a little softness for a man who so clearly loved his mother. She was a talented, creative and intelligent woman in her own right, so it's no wonder that her child might write a song about being jealous of her boyfriends and trying not to become like them one day. Assuming the song is based on life, of course. Of course, I may just be saying all this because she was an English Professor for roughly 31 years, and I most certainly do have a soft spot in my heart for educators. Anyway, from Donda West's son: Mama's Boyfriend.



2.) Mean, by Pink. She seems to know something about it. Kind of depressing. meh.



3.) Memphis, Tennessee was originally sung by Johnny Reed in 1964. Either covered by Reed or ChucK Berry, the song is the same -- I had to listen to it twice to realize that the "Marie" that the man in the song is singing about is his daughter and not his ex -- He gives it away at the end when he points out she was only six. This ending is the clincher here. It's that style of singing, though, where the tune is kind of monotonous and the singer isn't very expressive, so according to my lights it only gets a vomit. He did, however, sing Secret Agent Man in 1966. That's a fun one. Kind of dumb, but fun.



4.) Did you know The Drifters sang a song called Mexican Divorce? Me, neither. It's just like all their other songs, except not about making out under a boardwalk, and with an occasional female chorus. I thought maybe I've never heard of it because it was racist or something, but now that I've heard it, I think it was just bad. Vomit.



5.) Miss You, The Rolling Stones. It's The Stones, man. What can I say?
I used to find Mick Jagger kind of creepy, and so the video grossed me right out as a teen. I'm sure they've got better songs, and this one drags awfully long for what little it has to say, but, again -- The Stones.



6.) Misunderstanding, Genesis. For just a minute I thought I'd never heard this song before, but hey, it's Genesis. I knew. In a way I suppose it's no different than the issue I take with the Drifters' song: Doesn't sound as upset as the words would indicate. Sounds pretty dated, and not much to it. No tears or vomit to be had here.



7.) The Moment of Truth, Matthew West. One of those Christian music songs where the singer is addressing his audience, making it sound as if he's giving advice to one specific guy who's listening to the words. Is he listening? I wouldn't be, just because the music is bad. It pains me that so much of this music is either boring, tacky, elitist, or just a poor copy of rock music. This is in part because these songs are way more about what the artists are trying to say about their religious beliefs than whether or not the music is well-written. You can find some deep messages with a lot to say, but the music kind of ruins it much of the time. It's not all bad, and this song's message isn't all bad, but once the divorce or break-up has already happened, it takes a lot of work to pull it all back together. I guess it's the question we all end up asking, "Is this worth it?"



8.) My Bed, Sunny Sweeny. I hate this song. It makes me want to vomit.



9.) I know these are supposed to be songs that start with an "M," but this song popped up along with Sunny's other sunshiny little numbers, and I just have to remark: Drink Myself Single, also sung by Sunny Sweeny, is the epitome of all that's awful about country music. She's mad at her partner, decides to dress in her low-cut top and tight blue jeans, and then go out and get staggering drunk so that she can find out what it's like to sneak home late after sleeping around like he does. Great. That'll really help you make some wise choices and improve your life. I hate music that encourages people to abuse alcohol and and/or act stupid. VOMIT



10.) When My First Wife Left Me  ~ The lyrics aren't good. The guy lost his wife, rightfully blames himself, and then sings about it, but it's John Lee Hooker, and that man sure does have the perfect voice for the blues. He's good, too good to mock. Probably too good even for me to comprehend.




Well, I don't know about you, but I'm glad all that's over!
The blues number was easily the best music in the bunch, more because of who sang it than what it said on its own. The rest of the songs were pretty Miserable.

Tune in Next Time for some songs that start with the letters NO!





No comments:

Post a Comment