Friday, October 3, 2014

Divorce/Break-Up Songs That Make Me Want to Cry/Vomit, 4 of 26 ~ Songs That Start With the Letter "D."

In today's journey into the heartbreak and tears of bad music fans everywhere, I give you just five songs that start with the letter "D."

I'm actually beginning my list of songs (that either make me want to cry/vomit) feeling a strange sensation that is neither tears nor upchuck, but rather a sort of resigned acceptance, bordering upon admiration.

1.) In 1968, Tammy Wynette became the first ever person to sing about divorce. Were it not for Ms Wynette, I would have no divorce songs to complain about. And yet here she is in her bleached blonde bouffant, singing from her heart and personal experience the helpless grief of knowing that you're making a decision that you fear will steal all your child's sense of happy innocence, security and trust. I know how that feels. 
D-I-V-O-R-C-E The song is old, and it would be almost satirical or sappy if anyone else had sung it, but I think Tammy's got a beautiful voice and puts just the right level of emotion into what she's singing. Furthermore, women everywhere were given a voice in a matter that no one at the time liked to discuss. She was a gutsy lady in this respect, and therefore has earned my respect despite my lifetime abhorrence of sad country songs that dwell on the negative side of divorce and heartbreak.
I wanted to make fun of this song, I really did, but just you look at her face as she's singing -- I took one look at her face and had to give in. Shoot, if I were the guy in this situation, I'd take one look at that face and renew our vows right on the spot.


2.) On the other hand, Wayne Newton totally makes me want to vomit, singing Daddy, Don't You Walk So Fast? Terrible song. And why was this guy ever popular? I'm glad I wasn't born yet when this song came out, because I'm sure it would have made me spit up more than a little. Wayne, you get a "D."


3.) Doesn't Anybody Stay Together Anymore? To be or not to be, this is definitely the question that created this blog series. Did you know that Phil Collins used to have hair? Me, Neither. And I don't mean just a ring around his head, or even just an ordinary amount of hair -- I mean like, a LOT of hair! Amazing. In my personal opinion, this song is kind of generic for Collins. He has much better stuff out there, but the song asks a valid question. I don't cry when I hear this one because it's just not very emotional, and I don't vomit, but I do feel a little queasy...


4.) Don't Give Up on Love, Sanctus Real. I neither love nor hate this song. Total indifference. Oh, sort of a Christian Rock Song. Wait, wait a minute... These are the guys responsible for that horrible Lead Me song, that makes me want to vomit! But that starts with an "L," so this is the song we get today. What do you think? 


5.) Down to Earth, sung by Justin Bieber. Honestly, I have never listened to Justin Bieber. Listening to this song, I can see why people kept calling him a girl when his music first came out. The lyrics are kind of sad, but I don't like the song much. Not my preference in music. Then again, neither is Tammy Wynette.


Tomorrow we will be going over songs that make me want to cry or vomit, 5 of 26, Songs that Start With the Letter "E," including what I consider to be one of the ultimate stalker songs of the 80s! Can you guess which song that would be? Take a guess! 

Have a nice day!






No comments:

Post a Comment