Sunday, October 12, 2014

Divorce/Break-Up Songs that Make Me Want to Cry/Vomit, 9 of 26 ~ Songs That Start With the Letter "I" ...and "K."

1.) I'm So Happy I'm Crying. Usually Sting is a great lyricist, but this song is kind of bad. I hate to say it, but I think maybe he's reached that point where he's resting on his laurels. In truth, he more or less reached that point somewhere around his 1993 album, Ten Summoner's Tales. I'm smirking a little as I type this because of his fascinating haircut in the video. The subject matter lines up nicely with Divorce/Break-Up Songs That Make Me Vomit. My apologies, but I will not be posting the Toby Keith cover. I just can't take any more.



2.) Idiot Wind~ I suspect there is a reason that this Bob Dylan song isn't all that well known, and I further suspect that no one ever wants to get on Bob Dylan's bad side.



3.) In If Leaving Me Is Easy, Phil Collins kind of makes me want to vomit. Get over it, man. Move on. These lyrics are insipid and so is the music. I'll see you an In the Air Tonight and raise you a One More Night.



4.) In Pieces ~ Linkin Park. Not terribly impressed. Bleh



5.) Speaking of In The Air Tonight... I think what makes this song effective is that it comes from a firm perspective of rejecting the other person as opposed to the part of us all that likes to pity ourselves.



6.) It's Over, sung by Rod Stewart. I like a few of Rod Stewart's songs, but this is not one of them. The lyrics place it undeniably on this list, but I don't have to like it.



7.) This is the song that comes on at two in the morning when you're driving home from someplace you didn't want to be, don't want to be on the road, and are struggling to stay awake. Then good old Carole King comes on the radio singing It's Too Late, Baby and you nearly get into a car accident, unless you're quick to turn to another station. If there's anything to be said about this song, it would be that she tries to be grateful for what was good about the relationship. I think being able to acknowledge something like that at the end of a relationship helps you feel better prepared for another one -- certainly more so than spending too much of your time dwelling on the bad times and either hating your ex or yourself for mistakes made.



Now, luckily for you, I have run out of Divorce/Break-Up songs that start with an "I," and I have found no Divorce/Break-Up songs that begin with "J."
Unfortunately for you, I'm ending this list on a low note, because I did find just one single song beginning with a "K......

8.) Ending on an even number, I present to you possibly one of the worst bands of all time: Abba, cheerfully singing Knowing Me, Knowing You. It's not quite as bad as Fernando, but close.



Tomorrow, or on some other day this week, we'll look at Divorce/Break-Up Songs That Make Me Want to Vomit/Cry, 12 of 26 ~ Songs That Start With the Letter "L."

No comments:

Post a Comment