Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Divorce/Break-Up Songs That Make Me Want to Cry/Vomit, 6&7 of 26 ~ Songs That Start With the Letters "F" and "G."

1.) Our first song tonight has a very cheerful pop song feel to it, but if you read the lyrics it's really kind of horrible. It's kind of like how The Everly Brothers smile their matching white smiles and sing "Bye Bye Love," which by the way should have been in Songs That Begin With "B." Ah, well. Can't have them all. There's a lot of heartache out there, such as mine as I listen to Tesla singing Falling Apart. Vomit!





2.) Family Portrait. P!NK, of course. This song is depressing. Reminds me of my childhood, except that I only wished my dad would leave. The bit about having two addresses and splitting the holidays makes me feel bad because then I'm thinking of my own children. In 2001, P!NK wasn't even a blip on my radar. She seemed to blend in with a lot of other singers at the time. I think the song is sad, but still just makes me want to vomit.



3.) Fool For Your Loving ~ Whitesnake? This song is better than I suspected, but my expectations weren't all that high. I kind of like the bluesey feel the singer has in his voice, but the music and lyrics categorizes it as somewhat vomity because they just don't match up.



4.) Fortress Around Your Heart, by none other than Sting. This song doesn't actually belong on this list because I love it. I love that entire album. Sting really is fantastic with the clever lyrics. Man, it's been ages since I listened to this song, and I can still sing along. If it should happen to make you cry or vomit, please let me know.



5.) Free the Butterfly, by Suzi Quatro. This one sort of takes broken relationship depression and tries to make it into a sort of inspiring song, but it's still terrible. I won't be buying an album anytime soon.



6.) Get Her Back. Robin Thicke ~ This song commits the cardinal English Teacher Sin of changing back and forth between directly addressing the girl as "You" and then singing "Her." I don't think I want this guy to give me "that thing" I wanted. I'd prefer to ask someone else. It's a boring song. I suppose I could use it as ambient music...



7.) Get Hurt, by The Gaslight Anthem ~ This guy came to get hurt. Huh. And I don't get the line about how he hears they don't bleed in California. What's that supposed to be? Kind of repetitive. Yep, vomity all right. And victimy. Shame on you, dude. You should know better.



8.) And for some reason, Janis Ian's Getting Over You makes me sad. This is how you know you're not over someone quite yet -- when too many songs remind you of them, and make you sad when you hear them. It was easy to get over my ex husband. He made it easy for me. But when I hear this song I find myself thinking of how hard it is to get some people out of your heart and your head. Staying friends, as she refers to in this song, makes it nearly impossible, because there is no closure. Cry.



9.) Ghost ~ Katie Perry again, not sounding very inspired or original, and most of the lyrics are repetitive. Blah. And yet there's this one little stanza that caught my ear: "Something has died. Now that I have made up my mind I'll be all right, it doesn't haunt me at night." We've all gotta get there someday, someway.



10.) Goodbye ~ I liked Avril Lavigne pretty well when she released her first album, but I tired of her quickly, and this song has effected me similarly. ZZZZZZZZZZZ



11.) Last but by no means least, Goodbye, My Lover, sang by James Blunt. I find it beautiful because he manages to sing it so sadly, and with so much emotion. The way he's hanging on and waiting is depressing, but it kind of makes me want to cry. I like the song, darn it.



Well, then, now that you are properly depressed, I'll leave you to dwell on your losses until next time, when we listen to Divorce/Break-Up Songs That Make Me Want to Cry/Vomit, 8 of 26 ~ Songs That Start With the Letter "H."







No comments:

Post a Comment