Sunday, November 9, 2014

Divorce/Break-Up Songs that Make Me Want to Cry/Vomit, 15 -19 out of 26 ~ Songs That Start With the Letters "N - Q."

I've been busy the past couple of weeks doing important things like, you know, living my life and all that, but I want you to know that I have not forgotten you. I'm sure you've been losing sleep nights wondering if I'll ever get to songs starting with the letter "Z," right? It so happens that I, too, have been anxious in this regard. I can't help but look forward to what on earth I may find when I google Divorce/Break-Up songs that begin with the letter "Z." But right now we're a little over halfway through the alphabet, so we'd best buckle down and get to work.


1.) Today's first Break-Up Song is by The Black Keys. Although Next Girl isn't a particularly good song, this group has always surprised me with their style and overall presentation. If this number is especially bad, at least it's brief, right?




2.) I can't dream of why Tegan and Sara's song Night Watch wasn't more popular, coming out as it did in the era of Nirvana... [Sarcasm Font]

Have you ever heard of them? If so, you're definitely one up on me. If not, I looked them up on Wikipedia for you: "Tegan and Sara is a Canadian/Indi, Indie/Pop duo formed in 1995 in Calgary, Alberta, Canada composed of identical twin sisters Tegan Rain Quin and Sara Keirsten Quin." 
I suppose it was the gimmicky twin-factor that did Canadian hearts good in 1995, and I am just jealous that I don't have a twin sister to write songs with...or have any musical talent at all, whatsoever...



3.) Eric Clapton's Old Love. There's nothing at all to the lyrics, and no reason the song should run for six minutes and twenty-seven seconds, except that it's Eric Clapton, man, and he does what he wants. He was cited at the fourth best guitarist out of one hundred in Rolling Stone Magazine (Here's the address, if you're curious, but we all know Number One had to have been Jimmy Hendrix: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-guitarists-of-all-time-19691231/jimi-hendrix-20101202 ), so I guess we can attribute the song's fame for all the guitar playing Clapton gets to do in this song. Eric, I wish my old love would go away, too, but singing about it for over six minutes isn't going to help.





4.) On My Own. Sadly, not the song from Les Mis. The lyrics are pretty good, but this is just not my kind of music. I really hate it. The one part that makes me laugh a little, though, is: "Now we're up to talking divorce, and we aren't even married..."



5.) I guess you know it's all a matter of taste, that I can criticize Patty Labelle and still really love Jim Croce's Operator, but I just can't help it. I heard this song during my formative years and thought it was kind of sweet. "My best old ex-friend, Ray" is just about the most pathetic phrase in any break-up song I've ever heard. I relate to the idea of trying to get rid of a feeling that you have for someone who chose to disengage from you entirely, and also that need to show them up by acting as if you've got it all together and don't care anymore, either. This song doesn't make me physically weep, but my heart is crying. ha ha




6.) Usher's Papers. As an artist, I think he crosses all kinds of boundaries. The bland pleasantness of the music for the subject matter is kind of off, but I can't quite bring myself to vomit over that. 




7.) Pendulum, by Anastacia, "the little woman with the big voice," is a study in break-up denial, but I love the strength she's shown personally in battling breast cancer.




8.) Genesis's Please Don't Ask, proving once again that old adage: "The majority of people who say 'I'm fine' are just lying." 




9.) Quick -- The song's a little weird at first blush, but there's something about Jill Scott that I can't help but like -- Maybe it's because she almost became an English Teacher. I'll bet the world lost a good one. By the way, The No1 Ladies' Detective Agency was a very good book.




Well, I couldn't find a number ten, so that's it for the week, I think. 

I still maintain that after I've finished this long and sorry exploration of Divorce/Break-up songs that make me want to cry/vomit, I'll be more than happy to go into Empowerment Songs next. Play 'em if you've got 'em.

No comments:

Post a Comment