Thursday, November 20, 2014

Divorce/Break-Up Songs that Make Me Want to Cry/Vomit, 18&19 out of 26 ~ Songs That Start With the Letter "R" and "S."

Am I a card-carrying member, or is he?
The world may never know.
Tonight once again we explore the world of singing through your pain, envy and fury in relation to divorce or breaking up with someone.

I think it may just happen to be a healthy thing that I can write on this topic these days. As they say, when you can find it in you to make a joke out of something, you've beaten it.
It's been six years since my own divorce -- maybe seven -- and the marriage was over well before that. I've never missed being married, but I do miss my kids when they're away. That will never change.
Please be forewarned that the following videos might make you vomit.
Or cry.

1.) I couldn't find any songs that began with an "R," but a dear friend of mine suggested Return to Sender. I'll assume you know who sang it, and note that this must've been a very racy movie, considering they did not film him only from the waist up!



2.) Not to be outdone, I do have a few songs that start with the letter "S" for you to consider. The first band has been referred to as "one of America's most beloved (and sometimes hated) commercial rock bands." I know them best for Wheel in the Sky, Don't Stop Believing, and Anyway You Want It, but for our purposes tonight we have Separate Ways, by none other than Journey. (And, yes, it does make me want to vomit. Not one of their better songs.)



3.) Starting Over Again, by Dolly Parton. Now there's a contrast to Journey for you. Honestly, it makes me think of my own parents. Bad song. Vomit.



4.) Sunny Sweeney, why do you hate my ears so much? Don't you have anything else to sing about?! Staying's Worse Than Leaving reminds me of when I packed up myself and my children and left my ex-husband. Some people judged me and put their two-cent's worth in, but they didn't know the whole story, and in my defense I have to point out that there's a huge difference between liking a guy in general and having to live with him. If only I'd known I could have made an entire career by singing badly about it, my life would have turned out very differently. Vomit, in case you couldn't guess.



5.) Swallow My Pride, by Billy Bragg. I REALLY hate this guy's singing style. This has been a rough night for me. I think I've completely run out of bile.



Five songs. That's all I can stand for tonight, especially since the last three were all country music. This is one of those nights when I'm wondering why I subject myself to so much torment listing and listening to such terrible songs, especially when I consider how there's at least ten songs I can list off the top of my head that begin with "T" that I have to gather up for next time.
In the meantime, take care of yourself and try not to dwell on your own card-carrying member of The League of Evil Exes. Goodnight.



No comments:

Post a Comment