Sunday, April 21, 2013

I Need Tools They Haven't Necessarily Invented

Sometimes I just love huge swaths of a person!
If certain aspects of their personality were like so much grain in a field, my love would encompass rows and rows of them.
It's beyond something cloy and ensnaring like "being in love," which I think mows everything down, and instead it has more to do with qualities they posess as a person, which preserves their individuality and separateness from me.
Sometimes I think that with all the words in the English language, there just isn't anything adequate to express this properly.
With a girlfriend, I might just exclaim, "I love you!" and most of them aren't too uncomfortable with it, especially if I follow up with specifics, such as "You're so insightful and compassionate - knowing you makes my world a better place!" It always feels a little cheesy and unnatural, but I make myself say it anyway, because I think that kind of input it important so long as it's the truth.
It's a little bit more touchy and words are even less adequate when I'm speaking with someone I happen to be attracted to. What is the etiquette here? How do I say, "I adore this, this and this about you!" without just saying "I love you?" I find I have to catch myself quick.
It is terrible to be a wordsmith and not have the proper tools at hand.


No comments:

Post a Comment