Thursday, March 21, 2013

International Poetry Day?

"The writing of a poem is like a child throwing stones into a mineshaft. You compose first, then you listen for the reverberation." -James Fenton

It's national Poetry Day, says the Out of Print page on facebook.

I don't know if that's true, but I'll take any excuse to discuss poetry.

This quote by James Fenton, now: When he mentions the reverberation, what is he referring to?
My immediate thought was how I will read a poem and my first thought is always "What does it mean?" even though there's no telling. A poet writes a poem, and the reverberation is the echo from the poem - the sounds that come afterward. The interpretations. The implications. The feedback.

Or maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about. It certainly wouldn't be the first time.
For me, that's the fun of reading poetry - I never know what I'll get out of it.
And the same thing goes for when I write poetry: I never know what I'll end up saying.
In fact, it seems that most of my poems begin with one kind of thought and then end with something entirely different. Being unintentionally about something entirely different than what I had intended, I mean. I go where the words take me.

If you are looking for some poetry to read, or even to listen to, I recommend The Poetry Archive for a start.


http://www.poetryarchive.org/poetryarchive/home.do

This is where I looked up Fenton, and read

Fenton's unsettling use of traditional form to confront contemporary events, combined with images of comedy and violence is evident in poems such as 'Out of the East' and 'The Ballad of the Shrieking Man'. Nonsense verse has always formed a part of Fenton's output and in these poems he employs its metrical and linguistic energy to explore the nightmarish scenarios of war: "The lice/The meat/The burning ghats/The children buried in the butter vats/The steeple crashing through the bedroom roof/Will be your answer if you need a proof." The jaunty rhythms of Kipling have turned into the hysteria of apocalypse.

I'm sure there are very nice poems about flowers or something in the archives as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment