Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Ten Steps Toward Kicking Depression's Ass Before It's Even Left the Starting Gate


Feeling a little depressed tonight.
It's like a light blinking on my dashboard, alerting me to a problem that needs to be fixed, a sign that changes must be made.
Why depressed?
Probably not taking care of myself again.

I have a lot going on in my life right now. Been "too busy" to mind my internal condition, or to feed my physical upkeep. Always a bad thing when I let those things go.
Things begin to fall apart, like paint peeling from a house. Of course, that's what vinyl siding is for, so that metaphor sucks. I can't cover this up and pretend it's not here. Instead...


I Must:

  1.  Eat properly
  2.  Exercise regularly
    1. Set up a schedule for exercise 
    2. Set out clothes and gym supplies the night before
  3. Sleep on a specific schedule
    1. Stick with a bedtime routine
    2. Cut Internet browsing a set time before bed
  4. Call one friend or family member every day
  5. Paint again
  6. Write my Morning Pages religiously again
  7. Make time each day for working on my novel
  8. Get my prescriptions checked and renewed by a doctor
  9. Make steps toward accomplishing goals and stick with them
  10. Get involved in the community somewhere. Helping others always helps me appreciate my own life more.
I know all the right things to do.
The trick, of course, is doing them.
I think it helps if I start with one or two steps on the above list and then gradually add others.
My legs have been feeling like I have restless leg syndrome lately - I'll bet some regular exercise would fix that, improve my mood, and help me get more fit, to boot. It's a great start.
But it's ten at night, so I think I will make rice pudding instead.
Comfort food.
Not the best option, perhaps, but the easiest in the moment.




3 comments:

  1. Boo to depression! I like your tips. Just do one teensy tiny thing, others will follow. Love to you, Miss Wholigan!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not going to let it drag ME down!
    I've struggled with it all my life.
    Heard it's partly genetic - but also can partly be learned behavior.
    The mistake people make is in thinking that there isn't anything they can do about that.
    Love you, too, my dear.
    You and your delightful little blog of beautiful things and clever ideas.







    ReplyDelete
  3. As it turns out, feeling as if you have restless leg syndrome in high heat indexes is actually a sign of dehydration. Learn something new every day, hey?

    ReplyDelete