Wednesday, October 7, 2015

With A Little Help From My Friends (And Acceptance of Myself)

It's year and a half since my car accident, and still we have questions regarding my independent living skills and executive functioning, all of which are tested using my ability to focus, remember, and manage my neurofatigue.
Intelligence is largely determined by how fast we think and how much we are able to remember (God help us all as we age!).
In my case the the neuro psychologist's tests are to both show my progress, and to expose the areas that have stayed the same. To some extent, re-testing hypothetically predicts my future. Can I ever move out of my sister's house and live by myself again?
You can't tell in a two to three sentence Facebook post what's been going on in my life, that my finances and all my other affairs are in a snarl and that all my success revolves around repetition in my schedule and heavily leans on getting cues from the people around me. My family remind me of things, ask me questions to make sure I understand things, and to some extent have been forced to really get into my business to make sure I don't capsize my rickety little boat.
I don't have the exact numbers yet, and I am certainly not a number, but the concern with me is that I may be so affected by fatigue and perhaps some other type of damage that I am unable to think quickly, or even reasonably, unless I learn to pace myself better.
All I could infer from re-testing last night was that 45 minutes into it I struggled to focus, had a harder time remembering details of the tasks set before me, and indeed started to slow down. It's the neuro psychologist's job to lend practical meaning and a purposeful approach to my therapy in response to the tests, and all he would say offhand was that my numbers dropped significantly from when I did the first test to when I re-took the first test 45 minutes later.
MY job while waiting for his official write-up is pretty much to remember this quote I got from Woody Haiken, one of those Life Coach Dudes: "We are exactly who and what we should be in this exact moment. We ARE perfect. If there is something that we want to change, then it is not an imperfection, it is a detail to be refined."
I can live independently, but I may have to have a little help with some of it.
And I never liked the "Think Fast!" game anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment