Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Divorce/Break-Up Songs that Make Me Want to Cry/Vomit, 20 out of 26 ~ Songs That Start With the Letter "T."

You know, because it's so much fun!
For today's terrible song review, I turn now to the songs that make your heart ache -- possibly from anxiety -- starting with the letter "T."

My illustration here is something I found while looking for funny images referring to Online Dating, an all new (and more efficient) way to get rejected. And, speaking of rejection, the first song on my list is the classic Take a Letter to Maria...

1.) Now, this song is so bad that it's just plain funny. And kind of catchy... and I like the twist on the old "Getting a divorce because my husband cheated on me with his secretary" because, in this instance, the wife cheats on the man, driving him to cheat with his secretary... Stupid song.



2.) REO Speedwagon never ceases to amuse me. Although I often think all their songs sound alike, every time I run across one while seeking out bad break-up songs, I come across a song I apparently know all the words to... damn radio...



3.) Tell Me Why, by none other than The Beatles. I love them, so I love their songs indiscriminately, but I gather that a lot more people than I ever would have imagined absolutely hate all their early stuff, and a lot of their later stuff, too. Huh. Although I can't wrap my head around this fact, I am big enough to admit that this song isn't their best, and certainly their lyrics improved once they left the shadows of A Hard Day's Night... but it sure is catchy when in the throes of rejection.



4.) The Suffering, by Fishbone is admittedly one of their "nicer" songs (as opposed to Lyin' Ass Bitch), but I still don't quite understand why anyone would want to listen to it. I suppose it could be like the old "Sad Songs Say So Much" deal, but I personally prefer good sad songs if I'm going to mope over a broken relationship.



5.) I love ABBA because they are such an easy target when discussing bad break-up songs. The Winner Takes It All is at the very least not a completely mindless, happy-sounding song. And, being a bitter old divorced woman, this song is even somewhat relatable.



6.) I think probably the Pistol Annies' Trading One Heartbreak for Another is one of the most depressing songs I've ever subjected myself to. The music is uninspired, ponderous and repetitive, the singing nothing especially good, and the lyrics just deaden my divorced mother soul. Probably the worst thing about it is that there's this basic truth behind it: That getting divorced to someone you've had children with opens up a kind of wound that doesn't heal. No longer do I have to live with my ex-husband, but my children do. And I've always found it ironic that we divorce somebody because the two of us can't get along or communicate at all anymore, but, because we have children together, we are forced to continue to attempt to do so for a maximum of eighteen years of our lives. Frankly, by the time my children are both grown, my eldest will be the same age I was when I married his father, and I find that very depressing. Like any mother, I carry around that guilt and hope my children don't repeat our mistakes. This song makes me cry because it's terrible, but also because it's true.



Out of thirteen (lucky thirteen) songs that I listened to for tonight's blog entry, only these six made the cut for actually being about divorce or breakup, and all the rest were either ambiguous -- or downright chipper. This is not supposed to be fun, people! If you want to listen to the positive, empowering divorce songs, then you've got to hang in there for six more letters of the alphabet before I start those rolling. You may want to post some requests toward that aim. I have a few personal favorites, but I'm sure there must be more.

On the bright side, though, is the fact that I couldn't locate even one break-up or divorce song that begins with the letter "U," so really all you've got left to tolerate are five letters, none of which I will torture you with this evening. I've got some drawings to work on. Have a nice night!


No comments:

Post a Comment