Sunday, September 28, 2014

Divorce/Break-Up Songs That Make Me Want to Cry/Vomit, 2 of 26 ~ 10 Songs That Start With the Letter "B"

As promised, here are today's top ten gut-wrenching songs that begin with a "B."

1.) First on my list, Because of You, by Kelly Clarkson. First time I ever heard it I was reminded more of my parents' broken relationship than my own, but either way the song is pretty negative and lends itself to victimization.



2.) Before I Die, Papa Roach. This song is pretty generic, in my opinion. I think it's supposed to be romantic, but as a bitter old divorced woman I must condemn it. ha ha. Your chance has flown, whiny little song-man.



3.) Between Me and You, by Laura Bell Bundy. So, our relationship is over, but I'm going to stick with you because I think my baby will grow up happier if we live miserably ever after together? Wow. Sometimes I surprise myself listening to these songs and having a much stronger reaction than I feel I ought to. I don't know how to excuse myself except to say that my parents stayed in a volatile relationship for nearly thirty years "for the sake of the kids," and we all have some pretty serious emotional issues as a result. I sincerely hope that Ms Bundy had a better childhood, which would justify the song.



4.) Black Chandelier, Biffy Clyro. This song is short on lyrics and deeply repetitive, although some of the simile is quite nice, I have no idea what dripping has to do with black chandeliers. Tear drop pendants? Seriously too punny, although kudos for the accent, Biffy.



5.) Breakfast at Our House, by Gretchen Peters. If you're divorced and like depressing country music, this woman is the artist for you. She's got herself an entire album dedicated to divorce. At the beginning of this live performance she says that some of the songs are "upbeat." I hope by that she means "positive," because every divorcee needs to focus on the best reasons to be single and how to survive a world that glances askance at people who are alone. The final stanza basically says "Let this be a warning to all you innocent young girls and boys who rush into marriage without thinking it through in advance." I was one of those girls, so in this sense I can give Gretchen a pass for trying to use her experience to save us.



6.) Breaking Free, by Tesla. Not to weigh in too heavily on pop, folk, or country, and being just a tad bit afraid of "hard" rock fans of hair bands, I am equally representing this genre in my list of "I Hate You" songs. I would never have listened to this in high school, but by today's standards this music is very mild. I vomit on it only as a matter of principle, and also because the music has not stood the test of time.



7.) Brilliant Disguise, Bruce Springsteen. While I'm dating myself, I may as well present to you -- The Boss. Seriously, if you don't feel as if you know or trust the person you are with, you'd best find out quick or it's all going to end.



8.) Broken Together, by Casting Crowns. Speaking of fair representation: Yes, even Christians get the marital blues.



9.) By the Grace of God, by Katy Perry, from before she sang music that stood out in any way whatsoever. The lyrics are fine, but the "music" makes me want to vomit because it's insipid.



10,) Bye, Baby -- Nas. Say what I will about rap, I've got to admit that the lyrics of this one are multi-faceted, complex just as any relationship, separation or divorce can be. Still makes me want to vomit, but that's probably a personal problem.



I'm pretty hit-and-miss on blogging on weekdays, but if I find the time, tomorrow you will have
Divorce/Break-Up Songs That Make Me Want to Cry/Vomit, 3 of 26 ~ 10 Songs That Start With the Letter "C." Again, if you happen to have any songs to add to my list, feel free to comment below.








No comments:

Post a Comment