Saturday, September 27, 2014

Divorce/Break-Up Songs That Make Me Want to Cry/Vomit, 1 of 26

If you're divorced or heading there on a crazy train, you've heard many of these kinds of songs and cringed. However, some level of grief needs desperately to be expressed at the loss, or you end up feeling broken far too long. Quite possibly music could help you to vent your anger and grief in a safe context, rather than finding your ex and hitting her/him with a shovel. There are also quite a lot of empowering songs about divorce, and eventually I'll list some of those as well, if it strikes my fancy. For today, I present eleven such songs for your gag reflex.

CRY ~ I thought of this topic today because P!nk came on the radio singing Just Give Me a Reason. To my surprise, I got teary-eyed over it. It was almost as bad as the day six years ago when my divorce was finalized and I heard Every Other Weekend for the first time. For some unearthly reason, I still like this song. I'm thinking just because it is P!nk, after all.



VOMIT ~ Every Other Weekend didn't make me feel sad. When I first heard it, I just felt angry. How dare somebody write a weepy song about only being a family as the kids change hands at the designated meeting place? A family does not have to have two parents (who frankly can't stand each other anymore, fighting incessantly in front of the kids) to be a family. I, with my kids, am their family. Their dad, with my kids, is their family. All this song does is push the idea that we have to "be together" to be a family, which in turn is frankly quite depressing as well as untrue.



CRY ~ 11, by Cassadee Pope, makes me think of my own little girl and who she may become one day. Country Music never fails to get me down. ha ha. I do like how it brings up how hard it is for a divorced woman to make ends meet compared to a man. I'm no man-hater, but it's statistically proven.



VOMIT ~ This next song is yet another example of why I don't leave the country music station on.




CRY ~ Lana Del Rey's Summer Sadness bothered me more last summer than it does now. It makes me feel nostalgic but melancholy --truthfully, not quite to the point that I need to vomit.




CRY INCESSANTLY ~ And then there's Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova's album, Once, which is pretty much a break-up album all the way through. I actually love this one despite how sad the majority of the songs are. For today's purposes, we have: Leave, Say It To Me Now, All the Way Down, Lies, Broken Hearted Hoover Fixer Sucker Guy (which happens to be quite funny to me) and, what I consider to be one of the the ultimate Divorce Songs, Once... 













Tomorrow, Divorce/'Break-Up Songs that Make Me Want to Cry/Vomit, 2 of 26 -- Songs that Start with "B." If you have any songs to add to my "A List," please post your idea in Comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment