Thursday, November 15, 2012

The Book of Learning and Forgetting, by Frank Smith

I love reading books on teaching by creative, daring educators with a liberal bent, and in that sense this was a great book. Written more formally than Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire, it was still a fascinating read. Here are a few thoughts upon the text...


1. Inflammatory Language: Have a Little Respect for the Intelligence of the Reader
     
This book is quite radical in many respects. If I have any objection to the material, it would be
Smith’s use of inflammatory language which certainly will never serve to change
the minds of those who really need to hear what he has to say. When he speaks of
social change and mindless conformity (p 46), he states that individual
relationships between students and teachers has all but disappeared. Not in my classroom, I say! Nor the classrooms of many other teachers I know. Another example of inflammation would be the eugenics example (p 62), which more or less compares educational psychology to the forced sterilization or mass murder
perpetuated by the Nazis in World War II, or when he claims that the induction
of psychology into the classroom eliminated all hope of students learning
values, loyalty, compassion or care (p 590.) In these respects, Smith is insulting certain
sensitive teachers by not giving them enough credit for knowing and reaching
their students. I very much doubt that any teacher is in their position for the
money. It therefore stands to reason that we teach because most of us have a
genuine liking for our students and desire to know and reach them. These types
of examples, though useful as illustrations and in many ways quite apt,
alienate more conservative readers. Having said this, I have to say that my
only other objection to Smith’s writing is that in my case he is preaching to
the choir. His use of inflammatory illustrations is actually quite deliberate.
He wants readers to be outraged at
the Official Theory of Education. He wants
educators to be incensed that proponents of the official theory don’t give them
enough credit for knowing how to teach well. He wants us to be so angry about
these issues that we decide to do
something about them. I might even go so far as to state that those who don’t
understand this point actually deserve to feel a little insulted for their
intellectual capacity. I mean, seriously, who can read about John Watson’s
claim that he could teach children whatever he wanted from birth if he had
enough control over them, and his subsequent career change to advertizing (p.
58) and not find this book vastly entertaining, if not outright amusing at
times?

    2. The Literacy Club
      Like the Freemasons, I know this club exists because I am a member. I know the secret

    handshakes and all the tricks of the trade. I had the great privilege of having
    a mother who was a voracious reader, valued education, and went to college
    while I was in elementary school. We sat at the kitchen table doing our
    homework together. When Mom had to cram for a Biology test, I'm convinced I got
    creative bedtime stories such as “The Positive Little Proton.” I went to school
    already inundated with vocabulary to the point that my classmates teased me for
    sounding “like a robot.” (This was perhaps the beginning of my realization that
    not everyone was in “the club” and perhaps didn’t understand it like I did.)
    My ex husband, on the other hand, was not a member of the club. Given what I now
    know about literacy, I’d say his teachers didn’t realize that he was dyslexic.
    He would see the words and read them, but get mixed up and then forget
    everything he had read. Perhaps even more detrimental to his education was the
    fact that his father did not read, either, and neither parent ever read to him.
    Frustrated and unhappy, deciding school was simply not for him (and by Smith’s definition
    of what schools are I’d say he was right), he dropped out high school.


    Given our
    respective backgrounds, we were both very anxious when our son’s Kindergarten
    teacher informed us that he wasn’t picking up on his reading as well as he
    ought to for his age. Truthfully, we both worried that maybe dyslexia was
    genetic. Additionally, I was angry and afraid because I felt helpless about
    what was happening to my son in school. At home I did everything a mother
    could. Since my children were infants I read to them and around them, and if
    they came to me carrying a book, I dropped everything I was doing and sat down
    and read to them. I read menus to them, and cookbook recipes, and if they asked
    me a question I went to the library and we looked up the answers in a book.
    First grade came, and still my son was not “in the club.” In fact, he was put
    in the other club, Title I reading, and drawn out of the
    classroom for the “extra help” he needed. And do you know why he was placed in Title I? Because he didn’t understand the portion of The Dibles with the nonsense
    words! (Note p. 54 and Ebbinghaus’ laws of forgetting in relation to nonsense
    words) Crushed, I watched as my son struggled and feared he would consider
    himself a non-reader forever because he was being segregated and opened up for
    attacks on his reading ability.
    This is where I feel conflicted about what
    Smith has to say: My son got better. By the end of the year, he had written and
    illustrated his own sixteen paged story about a laboratory mouse, and he won
    first prize in the Young Authors and Illustrators competition. Yes, it is
    possible for kids to get labeled and to feel inferior, but not if it’s handled
    properly. I believe more and more that educators are taking classes where these
    things are discussed and they are doing things about the climate in their
    classroom that encourages collaboration and peer support. I believe it because
    it is what I have been learning in college myself. I'm certain if they're teaching it at a little university like Ferris, they are teaching it elsewhere

      3. Testing and Rote Memorization Lead to Forgetting
        I hate spelling tests. I think they are evil and quite useless. This is not because I myself

      struggle with spelling. Quite the contrary: I was a member of “the spelling
      club.” I seldom missed a word, and I loved
      using the words correctly in a sentence, because I knew I was good with
      spelling words. I also knew, and so did everyone else in the class, who was not good at spelling. Worse, they knew it, too. No amount of spelling
      tests or years in school ever changed the nonspellers to spellers. I never
      understood this, because I knew that spelling was simply an exercise in rote
      memorization. As such, I despise spelling words on principle.
      On the other
      hand, I love vocabulary words. Vocabulary words are powerful and beautiful. However,
      like all powerful things, vocabulary words can be abused. For example, they can
      be turned into spelling words.


      While I was
      teaching reading, spelling tests were a required part of the curriculum and, as
      a mere substitute teacher, it would appear there was nothing I could do about it.
      I mentioned wistfully to the head of the English department that I thought
      spelling tests were pointless exercises in memorization, and received a very
      long lecture on the virtues of proper spelling in a society full of pernicious
      texting in place of real literature. (This seemed a bad time to mention my
      Romeo and Juliet assignment wherein students rewrote the scenes as text message
      conversations that they then preformed and had to translate for me by use of PowerPoint
      presentations. I learned what “BRB” meant, among other things.) When the
      lecture was over, I had the nerve to suggest that there was such a thing as
      spell check. At this rash statement, my colleague became positively apoplectic.
      The main point is that I had no control over the use of spelling tests in that
      classroom. The only control I was given was
      what
      words were to be spelled. Truthfully, I decided to use the vocabulary

      words, and I chose the words from the book we were reading in class. Why did I
      do this? Because this was how I was
      taught, and in desperate times when we are backed against walls, we resort to
      what we learned, and how we learned it. I hated the spelling tests because the
      students who were “good” spellers wouldn’t need to study and the students who
      considered themselves “bad” spellers wouldn’t try to study. I was teaching
      eighth grade, and they had all already decided which “club” they were in. The
      only way in which I redeemed those words was in putting them into a context and
      helping the definitions make sense to the students. I used each week’s words as
      often as possible in conversation, on worksheets, and in notes on the board. I
      gave students extra credit for using the words in casual conversation or
      finding examples of how the words were used in our books, on the news, and by
      their parents. In Frank Smith’s words, I provided a framework within which the
      vocabulary made sense to the students, so that they could remember them (p 33) I
      know teaching methods such as this are not dead, because I learned them from one of my former teachers as
      well. And I did not forget.


      I remember in the fourth grade that two of my
      spelling words were “mallard” and “detergent.” I don’t remember this because
      the spelling test helped me learn the words. I will never forget it because I
      decided that if I was going to have to use every single word correctly in a
      sentence, I should try to make a story out of them. I remember the words
      because my story was about a mallard duck who appeared at the door of a
      detective (another spelling word) one dark and stormy night covered in suds,
      coughed out the word, “Detergent!” and then died there. Thus followed a
      harrowing murder mystery in which pollution was the blame. My teacher was so
      amused by my story that he had me read it to the class, and from then onward I
      was not only a member of the spelling club and the reading club, I was an
      author, and such a talented one that my classmates begged for new stories every
      time we had another spelling test. I agree with Smith that testing should be about
      doing rather than data. I agree that
      we should find what makes our students tick and use that to help them discover
      and use their talents toward learning that is sufficiently meaningful and
      significant for them that they never forget it.

        4. The Official Theory Goes Online


      Ten years ago I’d
      have thought this chapter was ridiculous. Computers replace teachers?! Hogwash!
      Now I see with these Apex classes at Big Rapids High School or in New
      Directions and other alternative school settings that this is exactly what is
      happening. Smith says “There is always more money for equipment than for people
      (p 74),” and sadly he’s right. In fact, some schools are looking to get more of such classes, because they can
      pay a paraprofessional less to monitor them than they would have to pay a
      teacher. Even more tragically, this is the absolute worst demographic of students that they could possibly do this to.
      The kind of students who need to attend alternative schools are the kind of
      students who most need dynamic, creative teaching that inspires them to learn
      for themselves. Giving up and just sitting them in front of computers is
      telling them that they aren’t worth the money and effort of a good teacher,
      reinforcing their exclusion from the learning “club.” I’ve subbed in these
      classrooms and I’ve seen it, and it’s heartbreaking. These classrooms are
      packed with students who, if you get to know them, are phenomenally talented at
      art and music, or mechanics, but there isn’t enough time or money for schools
      to invest in the “enrichment” courses at which they would excel. I hate what I
      see happening in education but have yet to figure out exactly how to fight it.


      Of course, Smith doesn’t just tell us what’s wrong with the system and leave it at that;
      he does make an effort to address how to sally forth into battle against the
      dragons he has demonized at the continued expense of my peace of mind. He says
      that it begins in the classroom. Of course, he contradicts this statement
      earlier in the book when he also states that nothing can be done in the
      classroom because of the “second-hand smoke” of the official learning theory
      polluting our minds and the minds of our students. I want to kick him in the
      kneecaps for this pessimistic, dreary illustration, but I have to agree with it
      on some level because I see it in their faces. I see it in the faces of my
      students as they trudge warily into my classroom and glare at me, waiting to
      see what torture will be inflicted upon them next (p. 59). Education shouldn’t
      be like this, and yet there it is. They are gun-shy from whatever the other
      teachers may have done to them that day, from what their parents may have done
      (or not done) for years, and somehow I have to cut through all that and reach
      them, teach them anyway. And, surprisingly, I do. I don’t do it in the daily,
      perfect way that I strive for, but in fits and bursts of fireworks and
      enthusiasm, I see it happening despite all my faults. Because Smith is exactly
      right when he says that students have an innate desire to learn. We just have
      to give them enough of a chance to see that they can learn. Smith provides a history of how education morphed from
      what was good to what he paints as evil; and yet he doesn’t actually “throw the
      baby out with the bathwater” as his inflammatory illustrations might lead one
      to believe. In the end, he isn’t making any suggestions as to what constitutes
      good teaching that most teachers don’t use already. If nothing else, he leaves
      teachers with the question not of whether or not students are learning so much
      as what they are learning – and how they are learning it. If educators were to
      pay more attention to this, student learning could be taken for granted, and
      the standardized classrooms and testing we could all forget.





      No comments:

      Post a Comment